Entry, Nomination & Voting Process
Entry Process: Step 1
September 19, 2012 - October 12, 2012
• All paid regular and board builder SIMA members are eligible to submit entries. The main contact at each SIMA member company has been emailed unique login information for this entry site.
• SIMA member companies may only enter their own brands or products in any and all of the award categories for which they feel their brands or products are appropriate.
• You may not enter any other company, brand or product even if your own brand or product is not eligible in a particular category.
• You may only enter one brand or product per award category.
• SIMA member companies will also enter retailers in the retail categories.
• Each entry (except for retail categories) must be accompanied by a short written statement, four (4) images, company/brand logo, and the proper verification information. Please visit www.simaimageawards.com, the Entry Form, Rules and Material Specifications page, for details. SIMA cannot and will not take responsibility for editing statements or photos; materials that do not meet the specifications will not be used.
• A $50 administrative fee will be charged for each entry (except for retailer entries). This fee helps cover web site maintenance and production costs for the Image Awards ceremony. The main SIMA contact at each participating company will receive an invoice for all of their entries after the entry deadline. Fees are due by October 26. Entry fees not paid by this date will result in the entry being removed from the voting ballot presented to the Nominating Panel.
Nomination Process: Step 1 – Nominating Panel Review of Entries
October 29, 2012 - November 9, 2012
• A Nominating Panel will be approved by the Board of Directors, consisting of 50% individuals from paid SIMA member companies and 50% surf specialty retailers. Panelists are selected based on their area of expertise (i.e., panel is made up of representatives from the endemic media, men’s, women’s, footwear, accessory and hardgood/wetsuit segments of the industry.)
• All members of the Nominating Panel will review all entries received in all awards categories.
• After reviewing all entries, statements and images submitted by SIMA members, the Panel will then cast their votes for the top five entries in each category.
• To vote, they will be asked to rank their top five selections in each category from 1 to 5, with 1 being highest. Corresponding points will be given to each ranking: 1st = 10 points; 2nd = 8 points; 3rd = 6 points; 4th = 4 points; 5th = 2 points.
Nomination Process: Step 2 – Nominees Determined
• All points received from the Nominating Panel will be tallied. The five nominees in each category with the highest number of points from the Nominating Panel automatically become the five nominees for each award.
November 14, 2012
Voting Process: Step 1
November 14, 2012 - December 5, 2012
• All paid SIMA member companies are eligible to vote, as well as top surf specialty retailers.
• The main contact at each paid SIMA member company will be emailed a unique username and password valid for five votes online. It is the responsibility of the main SIMA contact to distribute the information to other individuals working for their brands that they believe are qualified to vote.
• The list of surf specialty retailers will also receive a unique username and password valid for five votes.
• The previously submitted statements and product images from the nominees will be included on the voting Web site to aid SIMA member companies and retailers in their voting decisions.
Voting Process: Step 2
• The brand/product receiving the highest number of votes in each category automatically becomes the winner.
• No panel is involved in determining winners. Winners are simply the highest vote-getters based on SIMA member and retailer voting. Winners will be announced in the live ceremony in February 2013 in Orange County, California. Date and location to be announced,